“In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was with God. And the Word was God.” John 1:1
The Bible is God’s revelation to His people. It is His inspired word given to all mankind about Him, and the relationship The Lord wants to have with them. As such, it has the incredible potential to change our lives. Yet it can be a challenging book for many. Here are five ways to get more out of Scripture.
1) Lectio Divina: An way of praying with Scripture that was formalized by a Carthusian monk called Guigo in the 12 century, even though its roots can be traced all the way back to the 3rd century. Basically, you select a scripture passage and then follow the four Lectio steps: Read, Meditate, Pray, Contemplate. It might be helpful to keep a scripture journal to write down what the Holy Spirit is telling you. Lectio Divina teaches that the Bible is not merely for studying, but it is the Living Word of God. For more information on how to pray this way check out the Order of the Carmelites website. http://ocarm.org/en/content/lectio/what-lectio-divina
2) Memorize verses: Grab some notecards and write down your favorite verses. If you don’t have any, then its a great excuse to find some! Psalm 23, John 3:16, Jeremiah 29:11, and 1 Corinthians 13:8 are great places to start! Carry the cards around with you and commit them to memory. The next time you face a struggle or a set back, the verses will come to mind and give you a boost. Start with one or two at a time, and then add more as needed. Pretty soon you will have an arsenal of Scripture at your beck and call!
3) Read a book about The Book: The Real Story by Curtis Martin and Dr. Edward Sri (the founders of FOCUS) spent ten years researching for this amazing book about how the Bible works together to tell one huge story about God and His people. It’s short, well written, and accessible to all. The Real Story is a great inspiration to read The Word for yourself! You can buy it here: http://www.focus.org/therealstory/
4) Start a Bible Schedule: Scripture can be daunting. There are 73 books filled with many different types of writing. It can be intimidating to just pick it up and begin. The Coming Home Network has created a handy bible bookmark with scheduled readings that can have you completing the Bible in a year! It also includes Catechism readings so you can brush up on your theology. It’s also only a dollar. Which is pretty sweet. https://store.chnetwork.org/item/5541
5) Join a bible study: FOCUS provides bible studies every day, at practically every time. Bible studies are a great way to come together with other students and learn together about the Word. FOCUS bible studies were created with college students in mind, so you can be sure that you will get something out of the time. Plus, they are only an hour, and sometimes the missionaries bring cookies. Just saying.
There you go! 5 easy ways to go deeper in the Word. If you have one that helps you out that we haven’t mentioned, comment on it below! You can help other people grow deeper in their Scripture reading too.